2018 Tax Calendar
2018 and all of its tax deadlines are upon us! Below is a quick guide of the most important dates to keep in mind this calendar year. Take a careful look as and mark them on your own calendars:
- January 15th: due date to pay 4th quarter estimated taxes.
- January 31st:
- Due date to send out 1099s and W-2s to recipients.
- Due date to file 1099s/1096s with amounts in Box 7 and W-2s/W-3s with the IRS.
- February 28th: due date to file 1099s/1096s that do not have amounts in Box 7 if you are paper filing.
- March 15th:
- Due date to file S-Corp (1120S) and partnership (1065) returns
- Due date to elect S-Corp status for existing corporations or LLCs.
- April 2nd: due date to file 1099s/1096s that do not have amounts in Box 7 if you are filing electronically.
- April 17th:
- Due date to file individual (1040), trust (1041), and C-Corp (1120) returns.
- Last day to make HSA contributions and contributions to the majority of retirement plans.
- Due date to pay 1st quarter estimated payments.
- May 15th: due date to file most nonprofit returns (Form 990).
- June 15th: due date to pay 2nd quarter estimated payments.
- September 17th:
- Due date for extended S-Corp and partnership tax returns.
- Due date to pay 3rd quarter estimated payments.
- October 1st: due date for extended trust returns.
- October 15th:
- Due date for extended individual tax returns and C-Corp returns.
- November 15th: due date to file extended nonprofit returns.
A reminder as regards the April 17th deadline: an extension is an extension to file, not an extension to pay. If you file an extension and still owe money you will be assessed the failure-to-pay penalty of 0.5% per month on the balance. This is a huge improvement over the 5% per month failure-to-file penalty – so by all means file an extension (or get us to file one for you) if you need one.
If you are unsure of exactly what to do for any of these deadlines or need any assistance, give us a call. There are few things as costly as missed or erroneous tax filings – so let us help you keep things straight and get 2018 started on the right foot!